Employee Provident Fund Scheme is a social security scheme under which an employee contributes 12% of his/her basic pay to the provident fund. The employee also contributes a matching amount to the fund. The total contribution is known as corpus. The contributions are made every month until the person retires. Thus, the EPF serves as the retirement fund of an employee. Every employee has an Universal Account Number or UAN which is linked to his/her EPF account. UAN does not change throughout the lifetime of the employee.
Employees Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Porvisions Act, 1952 created Employees Provident Fund Organisation to manage EPF. The official website of this organisation is www.epfindia.gov.in Checking EPF balance
How to check EPF Balance Online
You first need to ensure that your employee has activated your Universal Account Number so that you can use UAN Login method to check your EPF balance. Follow the below mentioned steps.
- Log in to the offical website of EPFO www.epfindia.gov.in.
- Go to “Our Service” tab and select ” For Employees” option from the drop down menu.
- You will be redirected to a page where you need to click on “Member Passbook” option under “Services” menu.
- A login page appears where you need to enter your UAN and password to login to your EPF account.
- The member IDs of all the accounts linked to your UAN would be displayed on the screen.
- Click on the member ID of the EPF account for which you want to check the balance.
- The EPF passbook will be displayed on the screen.
In order to avail this facility, you must first register yourself on the UAN member portal after your UAN number is activated. The passbook can be viewed after 6 hours from registration.
If you have not yet activated your UAN, then you can view your PF account balance using your PF account number and other details. Follow these steps.
- Visit the official website of EPFO https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/index.php
- A link ” Click here to know your PF balance” is present at the bottom of the screen. Click on this link.
- A new page titled “Member and Balance Information” opens.
- On this page, select your state, EPF office, your establishment code and enter your PF account number, name and mobile number.
- Tick the “I Agree” checkbox and click on “Submit” button.
- The EPF balance would be displayed on the screen.
How to check EPF Balance via SMS
In order to check your PF balance using SMS, it is imperative for you to integrate your UAN with your KYC details such as PAN and Aadhar. Follow these steps after successful integration of your UAN with KYC details.
- The SMS need to be sent to 7738299899 from your registered mobile number.
- The SMS should read EPFOHO UAN ENG. Here ENG stands for English. If you want to receive your details in Hindi or some other regional language, then type the first three letters of your preferred language instead of ENG. Apart from English, the facility is available in Hindi, Bengali, Punjabi, Gujarati, Kannada, Marathi, Telugu, Malayalam and Tamil.
How to check EPF Balance Via Missed Call
You can now check your EPF balance by giving a missed call on 011-22901406. The missed call should be made from your registered mobile number only.
How to check EPF Balance Via Mobile app
EPFO provides a centralised mobile app known as Umang. The app can be downloaded from Google Play Store. After downloading this app on your smartphone, follow these steps.
- Open the app and select “EPFO”.
- Click on “Employee Centric Services”
- Click on “View Passbook”
- Type your UAN in the box and click on “Get OTP”.
- OTP is received on your registered mobile number. Enter the OTP and click on Login button.
- Select the member ID of the account for which you want to check the balance.
- Your EPF passbook will be displayed on the screen.
EPF Withdrawal process
EPF can be withdrawn before retirement as well. The person can withdraw 75% of the PF amount after 1 month of being unemployed. The remaining 25% of the amount can also be withdrawn to close the account after two months of unemployment. However, complete EPF withdrawal when switching over from one job to another without being unemployed for 2 months is deemed illegal. Partial withdrawal can be done for particular reasons with conditions and limit of withdrawal attached to each reason.
Both online and offline process are available for EPF withdrawal.
Online- There are 3 types of EPF withdrawal forms in case of online EPF withdrawal.
a.) EPF Advance/Partial Withdrawal – Form 31 needs to be filled if you are withdrawing a part of your EPF corpus to meet emergency requirements or on the grouunds of unemployment. The amount approved depends upon the corpus accumulated and allowable limit.
b.) EPF Complete Withdrawal/Final Settlement – Form 19 needs to be filled if you are withdrawing the entire PF amount after retirement. Complete personal and employment details need to be filled.
c.) Pension Withdrawal – Form 10C needs to be filled if you want to withdraw the pension amount. The pension amount is regulated by the Employees’ Pension Scheme, 1950.
The online process is as follows.
- Go to EPFO Member Login portal and login using your UAN and password.
- Click on “Online Service” and select “Claim (Form-31, 19 & 10C)” from the drop down menu.
- The member details will be displayed on the next page. Enter the last 4 digits of your bank account number and click on “Verify”.
- A certificate of undertaking is displayed. Click on “Yes” to sign the certificate.
- Click on “Proceed for Online Claim” option.
- The claim form opens. Select the claim you want from the drop down menu under the tab ” I Want To Apply For”. The claim can be full EPF settlement, EPF partial withdrawal or pension withdrawal. If you are not eligible for a service, then that option will not be present in the drop down menu.
- Tick on the certification box and click on submit button.
- Scanned documents need to be uploaded as per the purpose of withdrawal.
The money can be withdrawn only after your employer approves your withdrawal request. The amount is transferred to the bank account mentioned in the form within 15-20 days.
Tracking withdrawal claim status online- You can check your EPF claim status by going to the EPFO Login portal. Login using your UAN and password. Thereafter, click on “Track Claim Status” under “Online Services” option. The status will be displayed instantly.
Offline- Composite claim form which is equivalent to Form 19, Form 10C and Form 31 needs to be filled for offline claim withdrawal application. The composite claim form can be downloaded from http://epfindia.gov.in/site_en/Downloads.php?id=sm8_index#Claim%20Form
Aadhar composite form can be filled and submitted with the relevant EPFO office without attestation by the employee. Non-Aadhar composite form, however, needs to be attested by the employee before submission.